How to setup Yoast SEO in WordPress step by step easy guide: To optimize our content in Google, we should use a SEO plugin In WordPress. Yoast SEO plugin is one of them which known for content optimization. According to WordPress, right now, it’s have 5 million plus active installations.
The active installation is enough to know its popularity among WordPress users. It has two versions; the first version is free that you can download from WP dashboard panel.
The second is pro version, for that you have to pay plugin developer. Pro version provides you some extra features but free version also include everything to optimize our content. So we can start with free version. Let’s start with free version.
How to setup Yoast SEO in WordPress
- Hover your mouse on plugin section. click on add new option.
- Now type yoast plugin in search text area and hit enter. The yoast plugin will appear after search process, click on install and wait for couple of second.
- After installing process, activate yoast plugin. This step will take you on plugin area where you can see all installed plugin.
- Now click on setting option or you can hover your mouse on SEO section and click on ‘General’ setting option.
- Now click on configuration wizard.
setup Yoast SEO configuration wizard
- The new window will look be look like this. click on configure yoast SEO.
- Now you have to choose any one option. If your site ready to index in Google, choose first option otherwise choose second option and click on next button.
- Now choose any option, which suits best for your site and click on next.
- New page will be like look like this. If we choose company option than second and third option will appear. Here type your company name and upload your website logo and click on next.
- In this page copy paste your social profiles URL, scroll down and click on next.
- On search engine visibility page, you need to tell yoast plugin, which content type you want to show in Google. This setting according to a blog. We want to show our pages and posts but not templates.
- Here you can disable multiple author setting. If your blog have only one author than choose no option and click on next button.
- As we have already authenticated our site on google so our site is appearing like number two option. You can authenticate your site too. To authenticate your site click on tutorial how to connect google search console to your site.
- After watching tutorial come back to your site and follow those steps after that you will be able to connect your site to google search console.
- I see many beginners who are asking, which title separator is best for SEO. In my opinion first Dash separator is best. So you can also choose Dash separator and click on next button.
- Type your email address and sign up, if you want to receive Yoast SEO news latter in your mail.
- In this page you will asked to upgrade your plugin. If you want pro version click on upgrade premium or scroll down and click on next button.
- This is the last window of configuration wizard. Now most of setting you successfully configured but some setting still need for configuration so close the window and come back to your WP dashboard.
- After returning on WP dashboard click on search appearance option under SEO section. First tab will appear which contain general setting options. As we already configured this setting in configuration wizard so just skip this option and click on content type option.
- The content type first option is about your post. If you cannot see above detail just click on expand detail and this setting will appear.
- On first three options we hide date because we don’t want to show publish date of our article in search result.
- But some websites like news websites want to show date in search results. So it’s all depend on you whether you want to show date or not. In SEO title setting we removed almost everything and remain with title. This setting will show only title of our post in search result.
- Next area is about Meta description; here I will suggest you do not put anything In this area just leave it blank and scroll down and expand page setting.
- Now we have configured page setting as same as post setting. We don’t want to show date and SEO title of our page is only title.
- Next option is about templates, as we don’t want to show our templates in search results so we have disabled it. You can do same setting for your blog too. Click on save changes.
- Click on media setting option, under media setting option you can find this setting. Here we redirect all our attachment to its content. If we select no than all our attachment create separate link and this will create short content issue so redirect attachment to the content is better option for a content blog. Click on save changes.
- Click on taxonomies and expand category setting. Here we set No for category so our category will not show in search results. The reason of hiding category in search result is duplicate and short content. But in some cases this option can be enabled. For newbie i will suggest disable this option.
- Now expand tag setting and it will look like this. We again apply same setting for tags. If we enable tags in search results, it will create lots of duplicate content. So disabling this option is a wise move. Scroll down and expand format (post_format) setting.
- Disable both format and category URLs setting and click on save changes.
- Click on archives and settings will appear. As we already disabled author and date archives so there is nothing to do. If you find these options enable than disable it according to your previous setting and scroll down.
- Expand special pages setting and you can find these setting. Here you can setup how your 404 and search pages will show result if there is no content on 404 or search not match.
- If you have no idea just leave as it is and click on save changes.
- Click on breadcrumbs and you can find these settings. We disabled breadcrumbs setting because our theme already has this feature and most of themes come up with this feature. If your theme does not have this feature than click on ‘yoast knowledge base article’ how to insert breadcrumbs in your theme link and know about it otherwise click on save changes.
- Now click on RSS feeds and you will these settings. You don’t need t change anything here just click on save changes.
- As we setup all search appearance setting so now we have left search console, social and tools setting.
- Search console and social setting we already configured in yoast setup wizard so now click on tool and it will open new page.
Yoast tool setting contain three options. First one is import and export, second file editor and third is bulk editor. With first one you can import and export your yoast plugin setting.
With file editor you can make change in your .htaccess file and robot.txt.
You have successfully configured your yoast plugin. If you need any help on these steps let me know in comment.